Saturday, May 21, 2011

11 Days - Extreme Swelling Post Circumcision

Sadly, the hope I have been carrying thus far has been hammered by some bad news. My penis is still very swollen. The mass & size in general is swollen (just the shaft area), and there is a big puffy swollen ring around my head.

Cause of Swelling after Circumcision


I've been doing a lot of research and deciphered this is a complication referred to as lymphedema - swelling that occurs because the lymph vessels are obstructed and does not allow the lymph fluid to drain back into the veins. I guess it usually happens after surgery that leaves trauma to skin & vessels that have been cut off. I did have a large vein on the top side of my penis that went up to the tip of my foreskin, I suspect this was primary cause. However, I've read cetain people simply just rerspond this way to circumcision so I unfortunately might be one of those people. Is the circumcision worth it so far? Heck no. I wish I could have my tight foreskin back and masturbate and have slightly painful but still possible sex. I am frightened I have irreversibly damaged my most precious part of my body, but only time will tell.

Symptoms:

-Very swollen & fat size penis
-Puffy ring around head

Circumcision Gone Wrong, or is it Normal?




It's hard to say if this was caused by poor surgical technique, or if this is simply just how certain peoples bodies response. If you read my prior posts, you'd know I went to see a highly specialized doctor of circumcisions in Florida, Dr. Reed. I am sure he is extremely skilled & experienced, that is why I saw him. I'm hoping he didn't have an off day on my procedure though. Here are the photos I've showed Dr. Reed, and his e-mail response to my concerns.

My Doctors Response to my questions about the swelling:

Me: Question I have - after I take warm baths, there is a black scab forming around the part of the incision where the wound seems to have come slightly loose. It is illustrated on the "right side pictures" - the warm water seems to soften up that area and makes it feel like its more prone to separate throughout the night.


Doctor: Warm tub baths with a 1/2 cup of table salt is helpful to increase capillary blood flow and draw fluid. out the swollen areas. That the fluid would open the crust for me is not consequential now as most likely that area will heal secondarily.

Me: I noticed the next morning it was slightly coming loose with some remnant hints of fresh blood underneath. Do you still recommend I take warm baths 2x a day, will this be okay?

Doctor: Yes, in a clean tub of course. And shower afterwards to rinse off bath water.

Me: Would applying ice on a daily basis help the swelling?

Doctor: Absolutely the wrong thing to do. Coldness causes vasoconstriction and retards wound healing. Only advised with some patients for the first 24 hours in certain situations, to reduce bruising.

Me: Is this swelling possibly considered lymphedema?

Doctor: Yes.

Me: Do you foresee a skin graft or any other procedures being necessary because this is lymphedema? How long do you think the healing will take?

Doctor: In 40 years, I have not known any circ I have done to require a skin graft. Plan on 4 to 6 weeks for the swelling to come down considerably. It will probably max out in another week or so. If the lymphedema does not subside in 5 or 6 months I have removed wet tissue. This is very remote.

I will have to sit tight and wait to see what happens these next few weeks.

Is Lymphedema Common Following Circumcision?


I have also read forums of other people facing lymphedema. Many of these people were swollen up to 5-6 months, with some that have reported the swelling finally came down by then. I am really hoping my recovery will not take this long. I did not anticipate this type of result at ALL and I am extremely upset about facing this consequence. I really hope once the stitches come out in a few days, the swelling will begin to subside more quickly as the foreign materials will be removed from the skin. I am also hoping I am not required to have a second procedure done to treat this lymphedema. Whatever the result is, I will be regularly updating my blog. Also, if there is anyone reading this which is currently dealing with post circumcision swelling or has dealt with it in the past, PLEASE comment and provide some info =(

Is the swelling painful after 11 days?


Besides the very unfortunate degree of swelling, the pain is going down a lot (except when erections occur, they are painful and take a while to go away). I can move around a bit more comfortably and I am walking less funny. Also, my penis head is starting to slightly keratanize and it is becoming less sensative to touch. Wearing nylon boxers (snug fit) are comfortable enough to be mobile. However, I am still not exercising or any thing of that sort just yet.

29 comments:

  1. I wouldn't worry too much. I was cut at 26 and experienced similar feelings to what you are describing for the first few weeks. My penis was very swollen, probably more than yours. Particularly the remaining inner foreskin which was like a ring beneath the head. After about two weeks the swelling subsided and now 5 years later i am happy with the result.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i have the exact same problem. the skin under the glans is very swollen,in some portions as much as 1 cm in diameter. is this normal, or it's paraphimosis? tomorrow i'm gonna see the doctor again, but i'm pretty scared of irreversible damage because of this swelling

      Delete
  2. I had a circumcision revision with dr Reed on May 4th 2011, and my penis looks even worst then yours and it's been 18 days since surgery. It's very swollen and bruised, also last 2 days it got really painful below incision line. I take second antibiotic just in case it's some kind of infection. Send me an email and I show you my pictures my email: johnbobo1978@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tony - thanks for the comment. that makes me feel a lot more optimistic and hopeful. now did it take 5 years for you to fully be happy with it, or how long did it take til you fully healed with all the swelling completely gone?

    John - wow, that's interesting but doesn't sound too great that we both saw the same doctor and are going through quite an extreme period of healing. i'll send you an e-mail, i'd like to see your swelling compared to mine, & let's follow each others recovery progress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, found your blog on google.
    I see now that your swollen area is getting back to normal, that's a good thing.
    I got circumsized about 3 or 4 years ago. 2 days after my surgery my penis got extremely swollen (to the size of a soda can). It was awful but, thankfully, got better after a few weeks.
    The only thing that still bothers me is that, every now and then, part of where the skin was cut gets swollen. I would like to know, from other readers as well, if any of you ever get this sort of problem, if it's a normal thing or what.
    I have an appointment with my doctor, I really hope it's nothing to worry about but it's scary.

    Some say the swollen never goes away...
    My advice is, think twice before getting circumsized and research a lot before getting it done.

    Thanks
    Z

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you somehow fixed it? I have the same problem

      Delete
  5. Hi there, came accross your blog. I was circ'd 6 months ago in the UK by a very reputable surgeon and have also unfortunately suffer from some lymphodema on the scar line.

    I'm going in for surgery next week to have it removed - conservative measures didn't really do very much for me.

    Will update post op...

    ReplyDelete
  6. i just circumsized 11 days ago same as you.my penis is swollen and under my penis there is a wound there and its leaking liquid it wont stop leaking.after drying up,when u soaked again it will become wattery there.what should i do????

    ReplyDelete
  7. i just got cercumsized befor xmass 2001 its been almost 2 weeks and it loks like the dr stitchet the skin in the the head of my penice instead of tunder it i hope it just looks that way and will work out fine

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just got circumsised on the 30th of jan. It has been getting a hardened scab on the tip and im not sure if this is normal. The doctor ive seen just has me brushed aside and says everything is fine, but doesnt tell me what to expect. The scab is turning green and im starting to lose all sensation of touch around the head of the penis.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was also recently circumcised, on the 30th of January to be precise. Apart from the painful erections that were waking me up at night, my healing thus far has been ok. My only concern is that I have detected what feels like pockets of liquid under the penis skin, 2 to be exact. They feel like two tiny balloons filled with liquid. When I asked about them, I was told it was normal and they would subside within a week but nothing thus far. It this lymphedema? if so, do I need to wait 5 or 6 months for it to go away? Someone help please.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I got the dorsal slit done about 2 weeks ago, swelling went away after a week and then just 2 days ago it started swelling up again.. i have been reading around and found similar symptoms for both circumcision and dorsal slit, i have like perspiration flowing out of my glands and they turn yellow after whiping with a gauze pad.. i have been using polysporin for the cuts

    ReplyDelete
  11. i wish you guys would have used atara clamp or smart clamp,its bloodless and cures in 4 days. Google and see for yourselves,you can still have a corrective surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  12. its the most modern way of circumcision nowadays and for your information there is no stitching,ask any doctor. that's what we use in Africa.

    ReplyDelete
  13. guys, am going thru the same thng, its nothng to worry abt...talked to my doctor and he re assured me and jus told me to keep it upright. It wil all be over soon. Nothing is impossible.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I got circumcisioned about one week ago and have the same problems as u :/
    How is it actually, did it heal?
    Did u use additives like cremes?

    hope u can help me

    thanks

    larry

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am going for eight weeks post circumcision now and my penis is still swollen on left side.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey i got circumsised two days ago my penis is also very swolen and puffy like a ring below the head of the penis my doctor told me its fine and just take warm baths every 48 hours and apply fresh bandage but idk is your penis like has some skin like left beneath the penis? idk mine looks weird let me know as well.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was circumcised a year ago at age 40. My penis had swollen quite a lot and I had lymph fluid build up along the scar line. This went away after a few weeks. I don't regret getting circumcised. I love it. If you have any questions don't ask online. See your DOCTOR! Quit worrying. These things take time to heal. Be patient. My cock looked like Frankenstein. Now it's healed it looks normal. Just be patient.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I was circumcised many years ago and the swelling just vanished but the skin was stretched and still big. What do I do?

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have the same problem. I thought it was normal and that the swelling will go down. After 3 months of waiting it all was going well but in month 4 the swelling came back and became very sensitive. I went so see my doctor and he said he has never seen this before in his live. He told me to go see a Urologist and he will have the final say in that is going on. I really hope all goes well. I have no problem having sex or masturbating. It just looks really bad most likley I will have to go for a second perpetration to fix the problem.

    I aslo asked a lot of people and some say you might be alirgic to the stitches or to the cream they gave you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I was cut at 52....I was tired of painful sex and worried that one day I wojld be unable to properly care for Mr. Bamboo. This surgery you call cutting or circumcision was very painful...my head was crowned with a swelling that won't go away....this ring is pink and shiny very sensitive and painful. The first weeks this ring was probably bigger than the haitian ex president , Aristide. Now its is almost 3 months. The swelling still persist and it's not that bad. It is the sise of Rev Al Sharpton'lower lip. I am praying very hard...and inspecting the damaged tool with great concern. I was so happy the other day that I had a full but not as painful erection like before. I hac ve some hope. I start walking not like a duck anymore...I am sure in the next few months the ring will be as flat as CM Punk' lip. I have no sex in three months and I am am loosing it...please, my circumcised brethren , keep me in h our circumcision prayer....pray that that awful, despicable and painfully disgusting ring goes away.......

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am stressed.
    I got circumcised two and a half weeks ago and everything was healing well except the wound that suddenly developed just on the top of my cock. It never heal but leaks fluid all the time and m planning to see the doctor soon.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I gotten circumicise on March 15, 2013 and I beleive my penis is all screwed up. My penis looks somewhat like the pic but I feel they cut to much skin so know when I do get an erection, I have no neck. the skin from the pubic hairs is stich up right below the head so I think i have the first penis with hairs on the neck. I am 40 yrs old and I had to get a circumcision cause the foreskin could NOT pull back and it was ripping leaving open wounds. I still cannot masterbate/release myself and painful when you know you have to and you can't. Now I have an appoiptment with the Dr. and go from there.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have a problem my penis is swelling quite much,its been a day after the circumcition,its not painful but the swelling is scaring me.....what can I do??

    ReplyDelete
  24. I was circumcise 5 days ago but my penis is too painful and is swollen, I am afraid that it wont get better please help.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I did my circumcision 10 days ago. Everything was going on well but on the 9th day, my cock became very painful and is horribly swollen. It looks do horrible and my wife cant stand looking at it. I went to my Doctor and he just gave me pain killers and antibioticd and assured me that all is well. I regret have done it but I was tired of having a tight foreskin which was paibful during sex.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I was cut 10 weeks ago (high & loose) and I still have lymphedema on remaining inner foreskin (around the penis)...
    Do you think, that next operation will be necessary to eliminate this swelling? Tomorrow I'm going to urologist, but this problem bother me.

    if anyone had a similar problem?

    thanks in advance for any response!

    Marcin from Poland ;)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm 20 years old and recently got circumcised about a month ago. Like you, I was suffering from tight foreskin and although I never had sex before, I have heard that sex was very painful with a tight foreskin so I decided to go on with the procedure(also for hygiene reasons). The first couple of weeks, I regretted so much because it was so painful. The pain lasted a whole month (soreness) and I was constantly worried about possible infection. After a month, the pain went away but I still have enormous swelling in the shaft, right before the head. How long did the swelling last for you? I hope mine isn't long as 5-6 months...
    Also how is your sex life after the surgery? I know a lot of people bashed me for getting the surgery because they say that sex feels a lot more pleasureable with a foreskin.

    ReplyDelete